LEDs vs. Incandescent Bulbs in San Jose
The type of lighting you choose for your home can have a dramatic impact on the look and feel of your space. LED lighting offers a high-quality and energy-saving solution for indoor and outdoor lighting applications. If you are considering updating or upgrading your home lighting in San Jose, LED lighting from Wright Lighting and Fireside could be the perfect solution for your needs.
LEDs vs. Incandescent Bulbs
LEDs produce light in a different manner than “traditional” incandescent light bulbs. Because of the differences in their design, LED lighting fixtures often use just 10-15% of the energy required for the same lighting produced by incandescent bulbs. Additionally, LEDs are extremely long-lived, outlasting incandescent lighting by 25-50 times.
Incandescent bulbs generate light via heat:
- When you turn on an incandescent bulb, the electrical current it draws is fed into a wire inside the bulb, called a filament.
- This process heats the filament; when the filament reaches a certain temperature, it begins to glow, creating light.
- Incandescent bulbs must thus produce heat at the same time they produce light, meaning that 90% of the input energy does not go into creating light.
LED lights generate light via electron movement:
- When you turn on an LED light, an electrical current is passed through a semiconductor.
- The current causes electrons to move through the semiconductor; these movements cause the diode material to generate light.
- Any heat that is created during this process is shunted to a heat sink to prevent damage to the diodes, meaning LEDs are “cool” and don’t give off heat in addition to light.
Lighting With LEDs
Whether you are building a new home or updating an existing one, LED lighting technology can offer your San Jose home many benefits. LEDs:
- are dimmable (unlike CFLs), making them perfect for many lighting applications.
- have a high color rendition index, bringing out the beauty in the colors and finishes of your home.
- can be retrofitted into most of the lighting fixtures in your home so you won’t have to change anything but the bulb type.
- are green technology, meaning you’ll save energy, money, and reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
- will work for 20+ years on average
With LED lighting technology, the future of lighting is here today! Wright Lighting and Fireside uses only tested LED lighting to ensure you get the highest quality results from your lighting fixtures. We invite you to visit our San Jose lighting showroom or call (408) 979-0800 to discuss your outdoor, kitchen, or bathroom lighting needs today.